Land Modeling and Data Assimilation System Specialist with SSAI at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD
Science Systems and Applications, Inc. is seeking a GEOS Land Modeling and Data Assimilation System specialist to support the Global Modeling and Assimilation Office at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. This position will begin in a telecommuting status with the eventual likelihood of a hybrid model with work on site at NASA’s GSFC.
The position is designed for a mid-career scientist/programmer or numerical modeler with commensurate experience using and/or running coupled atmosphere and land models. The selected staff member will contribute to the maintenance and development of the land modeling and data assimilation components of the Global Earth Observing System (GEOS) at the NASA Global Modeling and Assimilation Office (GMAO). This involves the following expected duties:
* Develop, implement, and document, under advisement of civil service staff, improvements in the GEOS land modeling and data assimilation system.
* Perform simulations with the stand-alone land model and with various configurations of the full GEOS Earth system model; process results as required.
* Integrate science software and model parameters into the operational version of GEOS and perform associated tests.
* Assist in solving daily technical problems (in addition to strictly scientific problems).
* Ensure proper coordination with other model development groups in the GMAO.
* Maintain appropriate standards and interfaces to facilitate coupling of land model and assimilation components into the broader NASA GEOS system.
* A minimum of an MS degree in numerical land, atmospheric, or ocean modeling or a related field.
* 6-10 years of experience in designing, running, and analyzing output from standalone or coupled land, atmosphere, or ocean numerical models or data assimilation systems
* Extensive experience in FORTRAN or C/C++ programming is required
* The applicant must be detail-oriented.
* Experience in land surface hydrology and data assimilation preferred
* Experience in Python programming is highly desired, as are familiarity with relevant data formats (including NetCDF and HDF), object-oriented software paradigms (e.g., ESMF), and software version control (e.g., git and github.com)
* Expert knowledge of parallel computing processes and languages is also desired, as is a strong familiarity with graphics software.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: As a federal contractor, all employees of SSAI are required to be vaccinated (by no later than December 8, 2021) unless eligible for a religious or health exemption. Applicants selected for employment by SSAI must provide SSAI with the following documentation upon commencement of employment:
(a) a copy of the record of immunization from a health care provider or pharmacy, such as a copy of the COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card (CDC Form MLS-319813_r, published on September 3, 2020),
(b) a copy of medical records documenting the vaccination,
(c) a copy of immunization records from a public health or State immunization information system, or
(d) a statement that you are scheduled to receive a vaccination (identifying the date by which you expect to meet vaccination requirements).
The record must verify vaccination with information on the vaccine name, date(s) of administration, and the name of health care professional or clinic site administering vaccine.
Applicants seeking employment subject to a religious or health exemption should contact SSAI Human Resource Department.
SSAI is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.