He coordinated the European Commission funded OPERAs project (OPerationalizing Ecosystem Research Applications, www.operas-project.eu) (2012-2017) and contributed to the LUC4C project (Land-use change: assessing the net climate forcing, and options for climate change mitigation and adaptation, luc4c.eu) (2013-2018) and IMPRESSIONS project (Impacts and risks from high-end scenarios: Strategies for innovative solutions, www.impressions-project.eu) (2013-2018). He was Deputy Coordinator of the EU FP7 Project VOLONTE (Visions of land use transitions in Europe) (2010-2015). He has contributed to a number of international research initiatives including:
- Co-chair of the Intergovernmental science-policy Platform on Biodiversity & Ecosystem Services (IPBES) regional assessment for Europe & Central Asia (2015-2019);
- Co-chair of the Human Dimensions’ Focal Research Group for the Community Surface Dynamics Modelling System (CSDMS) (https://csdms.colorado.edu) (2015-2019);
- Lead author to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Assessment Reports of Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) (1994-2013);
- Lead author to the Special Report on Land including the Summary for Policy Makers (2017-2019);
- Coordinator of the AIMES-GLP Working Group on large-scale behavioural models of land use change (2018-present).