Call for Applications to Join the AIMES Scientific Steering Committee
Deadline: November 1, 2021
Application Materials: Send a statement of interest and CV to email@example.com
The Analysis, Integration, and Modeling of the Earth System (AIMES), a global research network of Future Earth, is accepting applications to serve on the AIMES scientific steering committee (SSC). AIMES is an international network of Earth system scientists and scholars that seeks to develop innovative, interdisciplinary ways to understand the complex relationship between the natural world and human activities. Bridging disciplines to set scientific agendas that advance new knowledge of biosphere-related climate interactions, AIMES also works to understand the complex interactions among biophysical and socioeconomic processes that underpin vulnerability, impacts, and adaptation analyses and climate change mitigation research. AIMES supports the research community through integrative working groups, workshops, open science conferences, and outreach activities, all of which are guided by an SSC and implemented through a central international project office located at NASA GISS.
AIMES activities are initiated, advanced, and/or overseen by the SSC. Ideal candidates for the steering committee will be highly motivated individuals willing to serve in this volunteer position with a specific interest in fostering and supporting international, interdisciplinary initiatives in the Earth System Sciences. We are broadly interested in candidates familiar with international scientific networks (e.g. Future Earth, WCRP), expertise in either the natural sciences (e.g. global biosphere modeling, land-use modeling, ocean biology and biogeochemistry modeling, Earth observations) or social sciences (e.g. socioeconomic modeling and analysis, behavioral decision sciences), and an interest in bridging these fields to further understand the role of human activities in the Earth system. Additional focal areas could include, but are not limited to: climate extremes, marine and coastal resources, abrupt changes in the Earth system, biodiversity, human-environment interactions, and/or the development of new methodological approaches (e.g. AI and machine learning).
The general tasks of AIMES SSC members include the following:
- Facilitate the bridging of natural and social science research as it pertains to understanding and modeling the Earth system.
- Advise and work with the AIMES International Project Office (IPO) and other members of the SSC to provide scientific guidance and oversee the development, planning and implementation of AIMES activities. This may include activities such as leading and/or participating in AIMES working groups, initiating high impact synthesis papers, organizing workshops, and/or contributing to AIMES open science conferences.
- Actively engage as liaisons with other international programmes (e.g. Future Earth global research networks, WCRP core projects and lighthouse activities) to promote AIMES science, ensure collaboration, and identify synergies on different aspects of Earth system research.
- Contribute as needed to funding acquisition efforts for AIMES-initiated activities such as workshops, open science conferences, etc.
- Provide sustained guidance to the AIMES IPO, which includes being responsive to requests, taking leadership on activities and providing inputs to AIMES-related communications (e.g. newsletter, policy briefs, etc.).
- Review working group proposals, AIMES documentation and endorsements when requested by the IPO or by Future Earth.
- Attend and make an active contribution to the committee meetings which occur in-person once a year for 2-3 days and up to three times a year remotely (note all meetings are currently conducted remotely).
- Contribute to the review of AIMES activities and working groups, communication outputs, and the science and implementation plan.
Committee member terms are three years, with the potential to renew up to three additional years. Applications will be reviewed by the current AIMES SSC and IPO, and approved by the Future Earth Secretariat. When selected, the new AIMES SSC members will receive a formal appointment letter from the AIMES IPO. Three to four SSC positions are available, with an anticipated start date of January 1, 2022.
To apply, please send a statement of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2021.